Re: FTP Permissions

David A. Glass said:
> I have a server running Mandrake 5.3...
>
> How do I make a users home dir the / when they log in from ftp??
>
> I don't want them to be able to roam around my server when they log in....

It's a pain from wu-ftpd.  It can be done, but it is a *royal* pain.
You have to add a line like this to /etc/ftpaccess:

    guestgroup www

Then create a group "www" (you can call it anything, just make sure it
matches the guestgroup line in ftpaccess).  Then you have to make the
user's home directory (in /etc/passwd) something with a . in it.  For
example, if you make the user's home directory /home/user/./, then
when they login, they'll be chroot'd to /home/user.  If you set it to
/home/user/./public_html/, then they'll still be chroot'd to
/home/user, but they'll start in the public_html directory under that.

Of course, the thing that sucks is that you pretty much have to have
the same permissions for anonymous ftp users as for the restricted
users.  If anonymous ftp users can't delete files, then you probably
won't be able to make it so that restricted users can.  (The wu_ftpd
documentation would tend to indicate otherwise, but I've never been
able to make it work.)

This is exactly why I don't run wu_ftpd on our ftp server...

(217)698-1694             | Meetings the 4th Tuesday of every month