Re: Next Meeting and Sound

From:           	"Casey Boone" <cboone@accessus.net>
To:             	<silug-discuss@silug.org>
Subject:        	Re: Next Meeting and Sound
Date sent:      	Wed, 13 Jan 1999 17:44:49 -0600
Send reply to:  	silug-discuss@silug.org

> i too am having sound difficulties ..... everything i try to run that uses
> the sound card dies... i have a pnp sound card and linux detected its
> settings just fine but it doesnt play anything ... im not too concerned
> because i dont plan upon playing many games from linux anyway but it is
> kinda odd that it wont work.  i have yet to try that cat filename |
> /dev/audio yet but i will tonight while im getting my ppp setup

Have you guys tried Soft OSS? It's almost completely compatible
with OSS Free.  If you have a PCI sound card, so far you must use
it.  Well, I haven't tried it in 2.2.0pre6 yet though.
www.opensound.com It's $20 I believe, but setup takes all of 10
seconds. the demo will work 3 hours at a time so you should
check it out.  As for the mp3 problem, try mpg123 you can get it
from metalab (sunsite) I could even play mp3's on my 486 with this
nifty little program! If you need anythin else drop me a line, I'll get
back to you sometime ;)

- Lee Helpingstine
-- sig11@ideacomputers.com
--- http://sig11.ideacomputers.com