From: Lloyd Parsons <lparsons@GlobalEyes.net>
To: silug-discuss@silug.org <silug-discuss@silug.org>
Date: Wednesday, December 30, 1998 9:13 AM
Subject: Re: DirectPC & Linux

I have DirecPC and there are a couple of ways to integrate that with Linux.  If you only have the one computer, then the only choice is to use software from Helius (a caldera partner).  (look at www.helius.com)  It appears to be a good, if pricey, solution if all you want to do is the interactive method.

The other choice, if you have an extra computer, is to use the included software with a proxy server on either NT or W95/98.  I use W98 with Sygate.  It works great.  Sygate sees the Sattelite PCI card and will use it by default.

The reasons that you might want to consider this type of setup is because of the push services available.  Notably newsgroups.  The way I am set up at home is my main box is multi-booted with W98, Linux and Solaris 7.  All these point to the Satellite server which is running W98 and Sygate.  When I am doing web surfing and ftp, I use this box.  I also use it for the newsgroups that DirecPC doesn't have in their newserver.

On the Satellite box, I read the news that has been pushed.  The advantage is that I am not 'online' with them so it is not counting against my useage hours.  When replying it wants to dial out, but I just let Outlook Express puke on that until I have all of my replies queued, then I batch them out.

If you are interested in DirecPC, watch at www.mychoice.net (somewhere on there you will see an advertisement for DirecPC) -- currently they are out of them, but earlier this month they were selling them at $49.95 -- that is the cheapest price, by a huge amount than anywhere else in the country.  They are a local Marion, IL business.  I even got a $100 rebate when I subscribed the service with Hughes.  They should be getting some more in after the 1st of the year.

If you are interested in DPC -- then you should be monitoring alt.satellite.direcpc in newsgroups.  There are some significant negatives about the DPC service you should be aware of.  They will talk about FAP (fair access policy).  This is a method Hughes uses so that you can't hog the bandwidth,  read up on it to see if your planned useage will cause you to get FAP'd.

Overall, I am pleased with the service and plan on eventually getting the trial version of Helius software just to try -- I feel it is too expensive for my needs.

Lloyd

lparsons@GlobalEyes.net