Re: SMB Help

I can't find it too much detail about the reg edit, but I grepped through the
redhat mailing lists I had been saving and found a bit which I insert here.

Hope this gives you a little clue:

Alan

Loay,
   If you change the smb.conf file you should stop and start Samba for each
change you make.  Stopping Samba is:

/etc/rc.d/init.d/smb stop

and starting it:

/etc/rc.d/init.d/smb.start

As root of course.  This will also start/stop nmbd.

Samba can be very tricky about passwords with Win95 and WinNT depending on
what service packs have been installed.  Win95 machines (at least ours)
don't do encrypted passwords and WinNT with service pack 1 are the same, but
WinNT with service pack 3 does do encrypted passwords, but there is a way to
shut that off.  Also Samba, depending upon which version you have, may or
may not be compiled for encrypted passwords.  It does get tricky.
---------------
Subject: Re: samba->win98/NT problem

The better solution from a security perspective is altering your samba
server to use the security of encryptions, rather than the dumbing down
of the clients security

I belive it's just a recompile.  Grabbing a source RPM might be an
option, if you then go into the sorce tree it stores and toggling on the
encrypted support and using rpm to make and install the program ( or
even make a binary rpm - I'm not up on RPM usage so I'm not shure how it
works for anything other then binary rpms.)

Or you can download the tarball source, but that kinda defeats the point
of RPMS :) in redhat 5.x
--------------------
----------
> From: James Michael Keller <jmkeller@radix.net>
> To: redhat-list@redhat.com
> Subject: Re: samba->win98/NT problem
> Date: Thursday, August 06, 1998 5:30 AM
>
> NT4 and 98 both default to encrypted passwords, 95 and 3.5 were clear
> text... either dumb down 98 and NT to send clear text ( bad and involves
> messing with the registry ) or get the tarball samba file and compile
> your own version with encrypted passwords turned on ( it should tell you
> all about it in the readme )
>
> 5.x samba rpms are compiled for clear text
>
> Richmond, Jeff wrote:
----------------------
Tim,
   I believe this is because NT with SP3 installed and Win98 both require
encrypted passwords, while Win95 does not.
   I am not at work right now so I don't have access to my documents on
Samba.  However if you look into the /usr/doc/samba/docs directory you
should find a file called something like WIN95.txt which tells you how to
change the registry to allow none encrypted passwords on the NT box.  I'm
assuming it might be the same for the Win98 box your running, but don't hold
me to it (as we don't have any 98 boxes).
   As best I can tell all Win/NT boxes either have to use all encrypted or
non-encrypted passwords, and you can't mix them.  If I'm wrong, someone
correct me, as I would be interested in how to fix this also.  I hope this
helps some.
> Anyone have ideas?

I don't know about Windows 98, but on NT with service pack 3, you need
to set a dword in the registry "enable plain text password" to 1.