CD rom writers

I am looking into buying a cd rom writer, and although I am currently
running under a wintel environment, I want to get something that will run
under Linux.
Does anyone have any suggestions or horror stories about various writers?  I
am probably going Plextor/HP/Panasonic/Sony, pricing will be a major
decision (I've got 'Broke Student syndrom').

Thanks

  Matt Wehland    mwehland@webtripper.com   http://www.webtripper.com
     95 Mustang GT Crystal White 5spd  Best 14.601, in street trim