Re: Sun Ultra 5

Hi,
  The Sun Ultra 5 is part of the new "Darwin" series that sun has put
out. These are PCI-based (rather than sbus) desktop machines that have
pretty fast (ultrasparc 3?) processors. The one you list will be plenty
good for normal workstation work. It will come with solaris workstation.
The workstation media only allows two concurrent logins. The server media
is slightly more expensive, but not too much. This machine probably has a 2
GB IDE drive, and whatever is the slowest video card. It will have an
ethernet card. I seem to remember that there are fewer slots than most
PCs have.

There is information at:
   http://www.sun.com/desktop/products/Ultra5/
I looked for this *after* writing the above paragraph, so there may
be errors in what I said.

  We are looking into buying one of these, but at a higher level. Our
prices are not so good as we get the Government not the Academic pricing.

Erich

On Sat, 25 Apr 1998, Alan Wilson wrote:

> Does anyone know anything about the Sun Ultra 5.  The Chronicle of Higher Ed
> has an ad for this machine at about $2600 with monitor (academic price).
>
> Is this a good thing?  Any gotchas?  I am assuming that one can compile and
> run the GNU software on this thing.  Is that true?  The ad suggested that
> Softwindows (I think) would allow it to run the M$ stuff.  Is this true?
>
> Any info would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> Alan
>

> --

Erich Schroeder                    Phone: (217)785-0033
Curator, Information Technologies  FAX:   (217)785-2857
Illinois State Museum GIS Lab      Internet: erich@museum.state.il.us
http://www.museum.state.il.us/ismdepts/anthro/staff/erich/erich.html