Re: Ultra DMA IDE vs. SCSI 2 or 3

On Mon, 30 Mar 1998, Richard H. Fifarek wrote:

> 	Exactly.  The problem that we are running into is that everyone
> sings the praises of SCSI and swears that it is the only way to go, but
> there are a few of us that aren't so sure (myself being one of them).
> I was just hoping to get some opinions and tidbits of info that I should
> take into account.  Personal experiences, general rules to follow, etc.
> 	Thanks.

I use Ultra DMA drives here at work on a P-II 300 MHz file/dialup server
running Linux.  This machine also has Ultra Wide SCSI-3 as well.
Truthfully, I don't see a lot of difference between the way the two
different drives perform.  They are both seagate drives, and the SCSI
drive only has specs for 40MB/Sec.  *shrug*  I always hear good things
about SCSI, too, but truthfully, it seems that this ultra IDE stuff is
giving it a run for its money (maybe it's time for SCSI-4?) :D

Koree

Koree A. Smith  | Co-Administrator, Ameth.org
koree@Ameth.org | http://www.ameth.org/~koree
NT != *IX       | I Corinthians 2:1-5