VPN and SSH

I sent this to easug-discuss, but somehow I doubt I'd get a reponse there, so here goes...

I've been working on getting a machine to do a Virtual Private network using ssh and ppp

if I ssh into the remote box and do a /usr/sbin/pppd, ppp fires up... if I do a ssh foo.bar.baz /usr/sbin/pppd it gives me the error :

/usr/sbin/pppd: This system lackes kernel support for PPP.  This could be because the PPP kernel module is not loaded, or because the kernel is not configured for PPP.  See the README.linux file in the ppp-2.3.3 distribution

At first I thought maybe it wasn't loading the ppp module, so I recompiled the kernel with support for PPP (eliminating the need for a module) and I still get this error.  Any ideas?

Matthew

Matthew Phelps Walker
mwalker@cstonesystems.com
(812) 423-7676