ZDNet Article

There's an interesting ZDNet article by Jesse Berst (www.zdnet.com, or
linked via www.msnbc.com) about being fired for promoting Linux.  It's
not as bad as it sounds - Berst discusses Linux's good points, and
basically wonders aloud on this subject.

I posted a response to their "TalkBack" forum.  Here it is:
-----
I was amused by the "Fired for Linux" story.  I've been a Linux fan for
quite a while, and have been instrumental in getting Linux into several
of my places of work, including my current one.  So far, I haven't had to
worry; most of my bosses are rather open to "alternative" technology, and
are willing to at least give the new ideas a try.

You make the claim that you can't yell at a sales rep if Linux breaks.  I
have a few perspectives on that:

First, you can, if you want, hire someone to yell at.  There are many
companies that sell support for Linux (one big one is Cygnus Support,
www.cygnus.com).  Additionally, Red Hat and Caldera are setting up
nationwide support networks (similar to Microsoft's "Solution Provider"
program), and Red Hat (at least) is improving their support offerings.

Also, while you might feel good having someone to yell at when you need
to, my experience has been that Linux doesn't give you the need as often.
Having source partially means that you're no longer helpless; if Linux
doesn't measure up to the task in testing, it's often as easy to add the
functionality to Linux as it is to start over.  Additionally, chances are
someone else has already tried Linux for your task, already found the bug
and shortcomings, and fixed them.  This effect is magnified when you
consider that the maintainers are often the biggest users of the features
in question (being sysadmins themselves, not professional OS developers).

In fact, the Linux infiltrations into my corporate environments have been
either as Web/Internet servers or to patch deficiencies in Novell NetWare
or Windows NT. The Web angle you explored in your article; have you
considered, however, that Linux is not just as stable, but often more
stable than NetWare/NT?   As an example, we're now using a Linux RAS
server at work (over objections from some of the decision makers).  We
were using an NT RAS server, but we just couldn't get it to answer the
silly phone reliably.  Now that it's there, the Linux box is enabling
migration opportunities that weren't possible with an NT box managing the
phones, but originally we just wanted a dial-in box that worked, and
that's how Linux entered the picture.

InfoWorld, in its "Best of 1997" awards, gave the Best Technical Support
award to "the Linux user community".  Strange?  Not if you read the
reasons.  Most of us are tired of "having someone to yell at" - usually
after waiting hours on hold and committing to a top-dollar support fee,
only to talk to a drone who doesn't know an IP stack from a hole in the
ground.  We'd much rather ask our peers what works, check a Web site, or
even whip out the source ourselves if it comes to that.  And in these
methods of support - informal though they may be - Linux is a pioneer,
not an also-ran.
-----