SILUG meeting Dec 4

Tonight we picked up where we left off at the 3rd Saturday meeting on Nov 16. Steve and I continued our efforts with Samba v4 in CentOS 8, specifically to build an Active Directory Domain Controller (samba-dc) binary package.

The Samba source code is freely available, but that's not enough. There are three distinct wickets one must clear when developing RPM binaries for RHEL, CentOS, and Fedora:

* Build
* Install
* Configure

At the last meeting Steve and I struggled with the build phase. Attached is a draft e-mail I prepared but did not send after that meeting. It's not 100% accurate, but it gives you an idea how complex building the binary RPMs can be.

Steve has taken this process a major step further. Instead of using the time-honored rpm command-line build process (updated with yum/dnf), Steve has pushed the build process from the local machine to GIT itself. He has cloned the most recent Samba package tree from Rawhide (what will become Fedora 32) and figured out the mods to the samba.spec file needed to use build all of the binaries without the dependency errors.

The results of Steve's efforts are here:

1. Install the EPEL 8 COPR repo file in /etc/yum.repos.d:

2. Clear out any old stuff:
# yum clean metadata
# yum clean packages

3. Install the binary packages Steve has built and placed in the COPR repo (from 1.):
# yum install samba-dc

Unfortunately, if your CentOS 8 server is like mine, you'll see transaction errors for the samba-client-libs and tdb-tools packages. This means Steve still has troubleshooting work ahead of him to Build binaries that Install correctly. Even then we may not be done. In a system as complex as an Active Directory Domain Controller, it should sucessfully pass a validation suite. Because Red Hat does not support samba-dc, they do not provide that suite.

If you think the Samba web site should answer all of our questions, you would be wrong. Attached is an extract of their web page describing how to build Samba binaries for CentOS 8 from https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Package_Dependencies_Required_to_Build_Samba#Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux_8_.2F_CentOS_8. This doesn't actually generate any binary RPMs.

So we're not there yet. We keep trying. If you have any insights, feel free to share.

--Doc

Third_Saturday.rtf

samba.org_guidance.rtf