Re: ALTERNATIVE LOCATION: Wednesday, 10/2/2019 Metro East

On Mon, 2019-09-30 at 10:40 -0500, Steven Pritchard wrote:
> The next St. Louis Metro East meeting of the Southern Illinois Linux
> Users Group is scheduled for Wednesday, October 2, 2019 at
> 6:30PM.  This
> month's meeting will be an informal social event at Balance Coffee &
> Tea
> in Belleville (https://goo.gl/maps/whtNowzfXQFdkzXBA).  There is a
> Facebook event at https://www.facebook.com/events/500193657483198/ if
> you want a reminder when the time comes.
>
> I know several of us live in the Red Hat family (Fedora/RHEL/CentOS).
> Let's talk about some of the new developments there (CentOS 8, CentOS
> Stream, etc.).
>
> See you there!  :-)
>
> Steve

I will definitely be there. I have installed CentOS 8 in a VM. It seems
I must "recompile" the MATE desktop rpms from F28 (v1.16) or F30
(v1.22). I haven't rebuilt an rpm in more than a decade, so a little
hand holding might be in order.

Also, Steve has found that Red Hat left out the bits of SAMBA 4 needed
to host a Primary Domain Controller. That's another major project
candidate.

And for those of us who were fans of yumex in Fedora and CentOS, it's
nowhere to be found in C8. Same with its ugly successor, dnfdragora. I
hear yumex has been abandoned by its upstream developer.

Finally, I'm sure Andy will have a status report for siteminder and C8.

See you there.

--Doc Savage