Re: Preparing for RHEL6

On Sat, 2011-04-23 at 17:14 -0500, Steven Pritchard wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 22, 2011 at 10:47:53PM -0500, Robert G. (Doc) Savage wrote:
> > Because one does not upgrade between major RHEL versions, I cannot
> > just let the system automatically upgrade what's already installed.
>
> Actually, I'm pretty sure a direct upgrade will work...  I'm going to be
> testing that soon though to be sure.
>
> > To guide me, I'd like to generate a list of all 2,759 installed
> > packages sorted by their source repo. When I run "yum list installed",
> > it doesn't tell me the repo it came from.
>
> Odd.  My yum tells me what repo I installed from...
>
>   # yum list installed
>   Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, refresh-packagekit
>   Installed Packages
>   AdobeReader_enu.i486                   9.4.2-1                     @adobe-linux-i386
>   [...]
>
> Oh, wait, I just tried the same thing on one of my CentOS 5 installs,
> and that third field just says "installed".
>
> Still, the great thing about yum is that you don't need to know what
> repo these things live in.  You just need to know the package names.
> Well, all you *really* need is the output of this command:
>
>   yum list installed | grep '\.' | awk '{print $1}'

Steve,

You put your finger on it: "installed" doesn't help me much. The key
here is the number -- 2,759 packages. I've had four years to customize
the stock setup. The wisdom of my rule not to install anything that's
not packaged as an rpm becomes evident now. (Of course, there WERE a few
such as rpCalc and diskspan that I couldn't get along without.)

About 95% of those packages will probably come from the RHN repository.
Another 1% will come from Scientific Linux (the Open/LibreOffice stuff).
Maybe 2% will come from EPEL6. A tiny number will be the repo rpms
themselves.

I may be able to use your method to generate "before" and "after" lists,
then make a "diff" with maybe 50-75 packages. Some will be obsolete and
replaced. Some will be easy (e.g. crossover-pro.i386), but some I'll
have to remember going back almost four years. This game of "Where's
Waldo" could take a while.

--Doc

--Doc