Re: Hard drive testing?

On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 5:22 PM, Steven Pritchard <steve@silug.org> wrote:
On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 03:37:49PM -0600, Wolfgang wrote:
> ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME š š š š šFLAG š š VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE š š šUPDATED
> WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE
> 197 Current_Pending_Sector š0x0032 š 200 š 200 š 000 š šOld_age
> Always š š š - š š š 5
> 198 Offline_Uncorrectable š 0x0030 š 200 š 200 š 000 š šOld_age
> Offline š š š- š š š 5

That's a bad drive.

> SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1
> Num šTest_Description š šStatus š š š š š š š š šRemaining šLifeTime(hours)
> LBA_of_first_error
> # 1 šShort offline š š š Completed: read failure š š š 90% š š š 970
> 31290205
> # 2 šShort offline š š š Completed: read failure š š š 90% š š š 970
> 31290205
> # 3 šExtended offline š šCompleted: read failure š š š 90% š š š 970
> 31290205
> # 4 šExtended offline š šCompleted: read failure š š š 90% š š š 970
> 31290205
> # 5 šExtended offline š šCompleted: read failure š š š 90% š š š 970
> 31290205
> # 6 šShort offline š š š Completed: read failure š š š 90% š š š 222
> 32454051
> # 7 šExtended offline š šCompleted: read failure š š š 90% š š š 220
> 32454051
> # 8 šConveyance offline šCompleted: read failure š š š 90% š š š 220
> 32454051

And all those are clear indications of a bad drive. šAnd it looks like
you didn't see the early failures. š(Note the tests at 220 hours, then
again at 970 hours.)

If you ran Fedora with this drive connected, it should have screamed at
you about a drive failing...

I've been running Windows 7 Pro and Ubuntu 10.10 mostly, neither said a thing, any suggested hard drives?š My Western digital might be out of warranty from a small scratch from the hard drive cage.
--
"You must control your future by taking command of your present, and fixing and learning from your past."

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

"ñ - ÔÏÔ. ñ - ×ÓÅÍÏÇÕÝÅÅ. ñ ÂÕÄÕ ÕÐÒÁ×ÌÑÔØ ÐÏ ×ÓÅÍ."