Re: Linux firewalls and NAS

I have a home server/NAS that I built from my retired p4 desktop. It's
grown way bigger than what I built it for...might be time for an
upgrade. Currently, it's got an internal 1TB Raid5 array with rsnapshot,
OS is on a 20GB HDD (plan to move to redundant compactflash), and I run
Bacula with a 9 bay LTO autoloader. I currently am running Ubuntu 8.10
LTS. I would like to multihome the box or use virtual IPs so that I can
distinguish what's accessible by the LAN only and what's got firewall
ports open to the world. Any suggestions?
Recently upgraded the LAN to Gigabit ethernet. Wow! What a difference
that makes if you push around lots of data.

-Anderson

Kevin Thomas wrote:
> I was just curious as to whether anyone ran a Linux firewall at home
> and/or a NAS?  I've been running Smoothwall Express for a few years
> now and I love it.  It blocks all kinds of nastiness that I never even
> knew I was being hit with when I was just behind my Netgear Wireless G
> router.  I also built a FreeNAS system and I love that as well
> (although it's based on BSD Unix, not Linux).  I was just wondering
> what Linux pet projects others have or might be working on.
>
> Kevin

|        Anderson Manly          |
|    anderson@manlyfamily.net    |
|   http://www.manlyfamily.net   |