Re: Tethering and Linux

Teletypes... I remember the spring of 1975 at Andrews AFB where I'd been
sent as a second lieutenant after comm-electronics engineering school.
I'd graduated the previous summer from Arizona State University with a
BSE(EE) specializing in solid state circuit design and fabrication (ASU
gets a lot of money from Motorola). Another lieutenant friend of mine
ran the tech control facility next door. He invited me in to see his new
toy. There in a rack was an IMSAI 8080 (remember War Games?) next to an
HP 555 Noise Test Set. The triple-nickel measures the amount of idle
channel noise on a voice circuit. My friend reached out to press a
switch on the IMSAI. The needle on the 555 jumped and an M-28 teletype
next to us sprang to life printing out a one-line test result. That
teletype machine scared me half out of my wits. Even with my brand new
EE degree I had no idea what had just happened. Four years later I was
ready to buy a Vector Graphics System B business micro with CP/M 2.0.

--Doc