Re: Linux Boot CD

On 09/17/2007 04:12 AM, JohnH wrote:
> I am looking for a version of Linux that will boot from a cd (With
> KDE) and work on almost any computer 5 years old or less.

Try Knoppix 5.1.1:

http://www.knoppix.net/get.php

> I have a computer I need to get files of off.

If you only need to get the files off of it, do you really need KDE?

> They work on all but one xp machine. It is a twin to one they do work
>  on. The cd rom is good. Graphics are still good. (etc)

Probably one piece of hardware is causing issues.

> On other machines I can see the files and but can't transfer them. On
>  the one xp, I can't even see the C:\ drive.

If Knoppix doesn't work, you may want to try some cheatcodes:

http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Cheat_Codes#Tips.26Tricks

For details on how Knoppix boots:

http://www.cwelug.org/cgi-bin/wiki.cgi?Knoppix/BootProcess

Let us know what you discover.