Re: Updating RH box for upcoming DST change

On Mon, Feb 12, 2007 at 11:52:31AM -0600, Steven Pritchard wrote:
> > I suppose, I can just install the updates from the tzdata file by
> > hand, but I had hoped there was a RPM available that would do it.
>
> Without Googling or anything, off the top of my head I'd say your best
> bet (if you *really* don't want to upgrade, although you should :-)
> would be to copy /usr/share/zoneinfo/America/Chicago from a recent
> Fedora box to /etc/localtime on your RH 7.3 box.

I just tested this on one old RHL 8.0 box (that I have been meaning to
replace for *years*), and this method did indeed work.  I've attached
the file, just in case you don't have another box with it handy.

FWIW, my couple of legacy RHL 7.3 boxes had all of the Fedora Legacy
updates installed, so they already had the corrected
/usr/share/zoneinfo/America/Chicago.  I just had to copy it to
/etc/localtime.

I just saw someone mention on IRC that a good test for this is to run
the following command:

  date -d '1970-01-01 UTC +1173679260 seconds'

On systems with the wrong tzdata, you'll get this:

  Mon Mar 12 00:01:00 CST 2007

You should get this though:

  Mon Mar 12 01:01:00 CDT 2007

(618)398-3000             | See web site for meeting details.

Chicago