Re: RedHat Fedora Core Upgrade

On Mon, 2007-01-15 at 23:45 -0600, R Hill wrote:
> Group,
>
>   Is there any easy way to upgrade from Fedora Core 1 to Fedora Core
> 5 ?
> It seems that the images for 5 & 6 are only found on the fedora core
> website ...?

Short answer: No.

Longer answer: Major version upgrades are designed to be incremental.
Skipping more than one major version is asking for trouble. I'm sure
others will tell you to use this or that method and you'll be fine. But
each new Fedora release adds or changes something big. Stuff gets
dropped. Other stuff gets added. Examples: Firefox has replaced Mozilla,
yum has replaced up2date. If you try to upgrade from release 1 to
release 5 you can't help but skip over important evolutionary
components.

Your best bet will be to archive everything you want to keep (e.g., home
directory, images, etc.) to tape, CD, or other hard drives, then do a
from scratch installation of FC5/6.

Finally, if you're running hardware or software written specifically for
FC1 and hasn't been upgraded, I suggest leaving your FC1 system alone,
buy a new one, and start over.

--Doc