Re: server upgrade

i would go with 320s over 250s right now as last time i looked the
pricepoint was about the same.

booting from external sata should be fine, but you will need to make
sure of the enclosures you get and the connectors all the way around.  i
have seen "external sata" mean standard sata port on the back, and also
mean different style port that includes power.  ymmv.

i personally am a huge fan of 3ware raid cards, but if you are willing
software raid should be just fine.  the few times i have done software
raid i have used a non-raided partition for boot (at the time it was
really about the only real way to do it).

Casey