Re: Tarr'ing

I have really never had luck trying to use tar to back up.  I would
suggest using rsync to rsync everything to another drive or directory.
 Then, if you *really* want a tarball of the backup, you could tar the
directory you copy everything to.

If you do use rsync, make sure to look at all of the switches.  You
want to use the option for numeric IDs, and you want to skip /dev and
/sys, and /proc.  There's more to it, but I'm afraid that I'll tell
you improper switches as I am very tired :D

But, I think you'd be very happy using rsync for making backups.  I
actually just restored a customer's drive today from an rsync backup
he had made on a second drive in his server.  So, I just installed
RHEL 4 ES on a drive, copied his files back to their proper locations
on the newly installed drive.  Booted the system, and had a working
server with Cpanel, and working web sites and named.

Koree

On 3/31/06, hbrhodes <hbrhodes@gmail.com> wrote:
> can anyone tell me what directories i really need to back up using
> tar?   i keep getting error messages ... heh, its insane.  this is my
> current attempt:
>
> tar -czf /misc/archive/fc4_backup.tar.gz --label=fc4_backup -pP
> --exclude=cache /bin /boot /etc /home /lib /net /opt /root /sbin
> /selinux /srv /usr /var

Koree A. Smith
--
Senior System Administrator