Re: OT, Laser Distance Sensor

If you really like that particular laser distance measuring unit, you could
use an analog data acquisition device...they are available for various
voltages, resolutions and data buses (USB, PCI, even ethernet).

They can be pricey, but they are very useful for lots of different things like
robotics and home control...and many vendors support Linux.

A good place to start is googling for:  linux analog data acquisition usb