YAUKQ - Yet another usb key question...

I'm hoping a I can get a little troubleshooting help from the list about
getting a USB key to work. On other linux systems (mostly fedora) I have
just plugged the key into my system and an icon appears on the desktop
and the key is mounted in /media. On my laptop (which is running FC4)
this nice automount feature doesn't seem to be working... I tried
mounting it by hand by creating a directory (/media/usbkey) and giving
the following command:

# mount -t msdos /dev/sda1 /media/usbkey

However, it complains that /dev/sda1 doesn't exist and rightly so. So,
what is the next step here?

Thanks ahead of time,
Ken