Re: bashing

Casey Boone wrote:
>"tar czf /path/and/filename.tar victim files here" does compress the
>data with gzip, and you can name the file anything you want, so you
>could do "tar czf /path/and/filename.tar.gz victim files here" as well.
>

>i am not certain what you are wanting to know for the other part though,
>you will need to give me more of a scenerio of what you are trying to
>accomplish.

okay, here's my file, i'm wanting to make several files (backup fc4.tar,
binkley.tar, semo.tar) and then have gzip compress all those files
individually with the correct names so they read: backup fc4.tar.gz,
binkley.tar.gz, semo.tar.gz.  that way i don't have to type it in.
heres my script, noting that i have to tell the program gzip to compress
it after i tar it, before tarring another becuase i do not want three
files in one big compressed file, i want each file compressed
seperately.  also, i want gzip to compress it at -9, i do not know what
tar -z compresses at.

#!/bin/bash
###backup of system information
tar -cvpf /BloomCounty/BillTCat/`date +'%Y %m%d'`_fc4backup.tar
--label="Fedora Core 4 Full Backup" --exclude=mnt --exclude=proc
--exclude=var/spool/squid --exclude=BloomCounty --exclude=*.iso
--exclude=*.rpm --exclude-caches --exclude=usr/local/games /
gzip -9 ~/BillTCat/*.tar
###backup of my personal files for college
tar -cvpf /BloomCounty/BillTCat/`date +'%Y_%m%d'`_SEMo_U.tar
--exclude-caches --label="SEMo_U Full Backup" /BloomCounty/Binkley/
gzip -9 ~/BillTCat/*.tar
###backup of RPM's from yum
tar -cvpf /BloomCounty/BillTCat/`date +'%Y_%m%d'`_SEMo_U.tar
--exclude-caches /var/cache/yum/
gzip -9 ~/BillTCat/*.tar

--
bentley rhodes		| Southeast Missouri University
hbrhodes1s@semo.edu	| College of Nursing, Spring 2008.