Re: DD via USB?

"Robert G. (Doc) Savage" <dsavage@peaknet.net> wrote:
> Not side-by-side. That's the purpose of backing up and
> restoring the System State along with partitions. The
restore
> overwrites the temporary install. We've used this method to
> recreate servers from scratch using full backup tapes
w/System
> State.

And I too have been doing this since NT 3.1.  It's an iffy
setup that runs into lots of issues, especially since
NTBackup has many  (some done on-purpose) limitations.

I've far preferred the Backup Exec / Net Backup solutions
NTBackup is based on, which has a far better recovery suite.
But those cost $$$.

Parted does the job for FAT32, and Linux with the NTFS-LDM
suite can do it (safely) for NTFS.

> A more technically intricate way to accomplish the same
> task would be to use Norton Ghost which allows you to
adjust
> disk size in the restoration step.

Even Ghost has some limitations that drive me nuts.  Like the
fact that v8 (2003) runs under DOS and v9 (clearly based on
an Windows PE environment) has various issues.  It's not
foolproof.

However, I've had great luck with Parted for FAT32 and the
NTFS-LDM suite for NTFS.

--
Bryan J. Smith     Professional, Technical Annoyance                      b.j.smith@ieee.org      http://thebs413.blogspot.com