Re: Hardware help!

In my experiences with laptops, specifically IBMs and Dells, the connector for the ribbon is probably the issue.  I would take special care to make sure the ribbon in the connector is seated completely.  I have yet to run across a damaged keyboard caused from dried soda as sugar isn’t that electrically conductive.  But stranger things have happened!!  By the way, what did you use to clean the keyboard?

Brandon

From: silug-discuss-owner@silug.org [mailto:silug-discuss-owner@silug.org] On Behalf Of Daniel
Sent: Saturday, January 07, 2006 1:18 AM
To: SILUG
Subject: Hardware help!

About a year ago spilt coke on my laptop keyboard.  Was able to turn everything off and do a quick clean up and a couple of the keys were sticking.  So this week I took the keyboard out and pulled everything apart and cleaned it top to bottom.  Now I reinstalled the keyboard and neither Windoze or Linux can see it.  I have double checked the ribbon slot and it is in securly, what could be the issues?  Does the ribbon have to be all the way in it seems like there is a little bit left on top.  Could the keyboard be toasted because I waited to long to clean?

System is a Compaq Presario 1692, all stock parts.

Thanks!

--
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.  -Einstein