Re: Universal Disc Format (UDF) -- WAS: HD Backup

NZG <ngustavson@emacinc.com> wrote:
> This is a device driver I've written myself and can modify
> if needed.  MMC/SD cards have a firmware layer that does
> wear-leveling and sector emulation, so it just looks like a
> standard block driver to the kernel, no MTD stuff is
required.
> In this case, the media should be transparent to the
> filesystem correct?

I guess.  I'd have to see it to verify.
But yes, if you can format another filesystem on it, then UDF
would be no different.

> If not, what special provisions does UDF need in the block
> driver?

None.  UDF can work as a regular block filesystem.

> In this case they don't. The OS boots directly from an AMD
> flash.  http://www.emacinc.com/som/som5282em.htm

Okay.

> It would be nice, but is not my primary reason for
> interest. I'm interested in UDF because of it's hot-swap
> capabilities, which my driver and the carrier
> board supports, but currently the fat filesystem does not
> (without unmounting it first or mounting it read-only).

Ahhh, yes, UDF would probably be better then.

--
Bryan J. Smith     Professional, Technical Annoyance                      b.j.smith@ieee.org      http://thebs413.blogspot.com