Re: HD Backup

On Sun, 2006-01-01 at 18:52 -0500, Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-01-01 at 14:05 -0600, Robert G. (Doc) Savage wrote:
> > Oh, puhleeeeze Bryan. An unprotected, unenforced, and widely used
> > "trademark" is just a word.
>
> First off, did you not notice my tags ...
>   "<anal note/not a big deal/just FYI>"

Of course I did. But if it's not a big deal, why did you feel so
compelled to bring up the point? People often take offense with such
things. Even you.

> Secondly, it's a legacy word that typically indicates Programmed I/O
> (PIO) modes of ATA, _not_ modern Ultra DMA modes.  In fact, half of the
> problem with the use of EIDE is the poor and incorrect assumption that
> ATA drives can be used in the master/slave relationship.
>
> I'm not trying to criticize you or otherwise insult you, but EIDE is a
> technically inappropriate word for the technology -- despite continued
> Western Digital marketing.
>
> > You completely missed my point, which was to distinguish EIDE drives
> > from their SATA brethren,
>
> ATA is ATA, whether parallel or serial.
>
> > for which external enclosures are still rather uncommon.
>
> ATA is ATA, whether parallel or serial.
>
> And yes, they _do_ have external SATA, as well as SAS.

But you can't put an SATA or SAS drive in an enclosure designed for PATA
(or EIDE, God forbid!), can you?
[snip]

> > Unless I'm terribly mistaken, UDF is a read-only filesystem designed for
> > DVDs, CD-Rs, and WORM drives and would not be suitable on an external
> > hard drive in Ray's situation.
>
> Yes, you are very much mistaken.  You're thinking of ISO9660.
>
> UDF is _both_ a traditional block read/write filesystem and can be an
> pre-mastered/archived filesystem like ISO9660 that is character
> recorded.  Most people are ignorant of the fact that UDF _is_ usable as
> a regular read/write filesystem, and it does an excellent job of
> perserving all sorts of different filesystem extents.
>
> That's why they call it the "Universal Device Format".

All I know about UDF is what I read in the funny papers:
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prkc_fil_ipge.asp This sure doesn't look much like my first choice for a filesystem on a hard drive. As I read this and other citations, UDF was specifically developed specifically to overcome the size limitations built in to ISO9660 for purposes of supporting DVD-R/RW, and not as a general purpose filesystem. Nothing on the wikipedia page you cited leads me to believe otherwise. And nowhere is journaling support mentioned. Thanks, but no thanks. I'll stay with NTFS for hard drives.

-- Doc
Robert G. (Doc) Savage, BSE(EE), CISSP, RHCE | Fairview Heights, IL
Fedora Core 4 kernel 2.6.14-1.1653_FC4 on a P-III/M IBM Thinkpad A22p
            ** Bob Costas for Baseball Commissioner **