Re: Remote Desktop Question

Jason Smith <jvsmith@digitalmatter.us> wrote:
> There was a question posed like this on the MythTV list a
> while back.  One of the suggestions worked for me.  I'm
> running Fedora Core 4 and use RealVNC from my Windows
laptop
> to access the box. I think it works pretty good.

Remote Framebuffer (RFB) methods are adequate, and that
includes a VNC-enabled XDM, or Xvnc.

Ideally, the native, widget display is better -- such as X11.
 Especially if you're streaming video in real-time over the
display.

Some players are capable of enabling video extensions on the
remote X-Server.  I've done this with MPlayer to nVidia's
driver with some key settings (to ensure MPlayer was set to
the remote system's capabilities, not the local ;-).

This is yet more things that will be addressed by X11R7, as
well as Microsoft GDI-less Windows Graphics Foundation (WGF)
2.0 (planned for 2007-2008 -- Vista will only have 1.1 which
is essentially, existing DirectX 9 tech with hacks to the
GDI).

--
Bryan J. Smith     Professional, Technical Annoyance                      b.j.smith@ieee.org      http://thebs413.blogspot.com