Re: Verizon DSL->WIFI Security

> From: Stan Zaske <zaske@insightbb.com>
> Date: 2005/12/08 Thu AM 12:41:27 CST

> I have a D-Link router and have
> setup a DMZ on my least important PC

You do realize that DMZ stands for "Demilitarized zone", as in "no security", right?  When you set up a DMZ, you're saying, "hey world, look as my system(s) as if they were directly attached to the internet", and possibly, "See if you can hack them!"....

Typically, you'd only set up a DMZ for a well secured system, running it's own firewall, for a specific purpose, such as email/web/ftp/ssh/etc server.  For most, you don't even need to do that, you just punch a hole in the router to the system in question...

I strongly suggest that you disable the DMZ on your router...

HTH,
William

--
William Underwood