Linux Network Performance and Measurement

I just started looking into finding some software for Network
Performance and Measurement.  Someone pointed me to a product call
Chariot (Windows Only), which I'm in discussions with that company now.
However, I can't help but think there's a Linux version that could do
the same or better than most of these 'bells and whistles' of the
Windows Only software.

I've looked at caida.org, specifically
http://www.caida.org/tools/taxonomy/performance.xml#bw, however I
thought I might ask the group to see if anyone has any suggestions or
has done this before and if so with what products and with what success
and/of troubles.

Thanks in advance.
--
Scott Smith