Re: LV attribute question

On Mon, 2005-09-19 at 14:40 -0500, bentley_rhodes wrote:
> my personal thoughts on usb2 hard drives is that they corrupt data
> transfer no matter how many times you do it.  probably not what you
> want, but i thought i would let you know my experience.  i would
> transfer mp3's or ogg files and it would take one song and give it
> twelve different song titles of a different album.  example, i wanted to
> play my collective soul album, song #3 'why part II'.  it ended up being
> divided into twelve different parts of the cranberries album 'zombie'.
> now picture 15 gigs of OGG files and this happens sporadically.

Please give us a break, Bentley. You really should read these postings
more carefully before jumping in with completely off-topic comments and
opinions about your music files. I fail to see any relationship between
MP3/OGG files and LV attributes.

FYI, just because I'm setting up this drive using a USB2 interface
doesn't mean that's how it will be connected in production use. Had you
read step #4 you should have understood that the source drive in this
exercise (the one throwing SMART errors) is my laptop's /dev/hda boot &
root drive. When the transfer process is complete, that source drive is
going in the trash and will be replaced by the new drive using its
native EIDE interface. The USB2 connection is merely a temporary means
to an end.

'man lvs' defines the sixth lv_attr bit as follows: "6  device (o)pen"
The full meaning of those two words will probably smack us all in the
forehead when somebody comes up with a fuller explanation. But those two
words with no other context makes their meaning a mystery.

Perhaps I can safely ignore the lack of an "o" attribute and continue
with the build & transfer process. Or maybe it's critical, like having
the e(x)ecute bit set on a script file. Do you know? If not, please lurk
and learn along with the rest of us.

-- Doc
Robert G. (Doc) Savage, BSE(EE), CISSP, RHCE | Fairview Heights, IL
Fedora Core 4 kernel 2.6.12-1.1398_FC4 on a P-III/M IBM Thinkpad A22p
            ** Bob Costas for Baseball Commissioner **