Re: Router+NAT (was: Disgusted with DSL) -- 'Ritters ...

From: Robert Citek <rwcitek@alum.calberkeley.org>
> Yes, a NAT[1] is a router[2].  But as you mention NAT is becoming so
> ubiquitous that in most people's minds NAT is the only type of
> router.  For better or worse, "Quantity has the quality of its own."

Well, I try to be "open" to new things.  God knows everytime I go to
say "God this new music sucks" I have to remind myself that I'm only
telling people how old I am.  I keep that in mind.

E.g. (technology-wise), I use the terms/acronyms Open Source,
FOSS, FLOSS and my contribution, Freedomware, instead of Stallman's
insistance of "Free Software" merely because it doesn't fit.  But
there's no real harm done because IMHO, Stallman's use of the
term "Free" wasn't appropriate in the first place.  And in the case
of my term, Freedomware, at least most Americans know there is
a "cost" involved somewhere, but it seems to be worth it.  ;->

Same deal for the term "Hacker."  As much as it indicates technical
genius to many, the popular term has ruined it.  With that said,
most people do like the acronyms of "White," "Gray" and "Black"
added in front of "Hat Hacker," as they do a better job of being
more descriptive.  And when all else fails, "Cracker" sells to all.

> [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_address_translation
> [2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Router

From [2]:
  "These are not "routers" in the true sense, but the terminology has
   been confused with network address translation."

My problem is when I try to get them to understand routing tables
and how the "default route" isn't going to cut it for their network.
I make _no_joke_ when I say many, many people think ADS is the
answer to their routing issues after I try to explain why their
"router" doesn't work.  Sigh.

That's why I used to differentiate them as "NAT Forwarding Routers"
(NFR).  Unfortunately, acronyms don't do a good job, and offer much
of the same problems as FOSS/FLOSS do for software -- either you
know or you don't.

So nowdays I've been calling them "'Ritters" like I'm some dumb,
southern stereotype.  Sounds like "Critters" and something you
want to keep out of your house, just like you want to keep them
off your corporate, multi-subnet network.

BTW, there _are_ a few, sub-$200 devices that _do_ have at least
RIP, and even one sub-$300 device with OSPF as well.  They even
do a good job of sending routing updates even through their VPNs,
as well as letting you input all other subnets on your network.
Those are definitely not 'Ritters.  ;->

--
Bryan J. Smith   mailto:b.j.smith@ieee.org