Re: External USB Hard Drive

Tom Dison wrote:
> I bought an 80GB external USB 2.0 Hard Drive ($79 at K-Mart of all
> places). However, the things gets pretty hot.

If the enclosure lacks a fan, this is quite expected.
I just assembled a MicroATX system and boy did I totally get the cooling
flow wrong.

> I noticed the drive never seems to spin down (under Windows or Linux).
> Any ideas?

I don't think there are any standards to USB SBP-2 to command power
savings, or any such commands are not very universal.
Since the system does not talk directly to the drive, but only to the
ATA-to-USB logic, you're SOL there.

I need to see if Firewire has such a command.
Firewire has a far larger command-set than USB, including
device-to-device transfers.
But most of the time these ATA-to-USB/Firewire bridges implement only
basic SBP-2 interfaces like block transfers.

The limitation is at that bridge, and the host can't do anything about
it.

--
Bryan J. Smith   mailto:b.j.smith@ieee.org
Currently Mobile   Treo 600