Re: ot: ultimate in firewall security :)

Casey Boone wrote ..
> just know it isnt the hard drive, ...

> > Are you enabling funky disk modes (spin-down, etc.) via hdparm?

Run an 'hdparm -I /dev/hda' (or whatever hd device you want).
Post the results.

An 'hdparm -h' reveals the following parameters of interest:
> Usage:  hdparm  [options] [device] ..
> -B   set Advanced Power Management setting (1-255)
> -C   check IDE power mode status
> -I   detailed/current information directly from drive
> -S   set standby (spindown) timeout
> -y   put IDE drive in standby mode
> -Y   put IDE drive to sleep
> -Z   disable Seagate auto-powersaving mode

I'm wondering if you've got some funky power-save mode enabled,
and your kernel isn't waking it up after the drive goes to sleep.

Do you have APM enabled?

The manpage entry for that -S option was pretty interesting.

Hope it helps.

Mike/