Re: Apache::ASP (was: Wednesday's meeting)

On Mon, Apr 04, 2005 at 01:13:43PM -0500, Robert Citek wrote:
> From what understand, Apache::ASP is a perl module that allows you to
> embed perl code into HTML pages served by Apache.  In other works, it

That's accurate.

> makes perl work like PHP or ASP/VBScript or ASP/JavaScript.  It does
> not allow you to run ASP/VBScript or ASP/JavaScript or ASP/.NET under

This is also accurate.

> Apache.  Is that a fair assessment?

For the most part, you've got it nailed right on the head.  There are
commercial solutions that take care of running ASP/VBScript and
ASP/JScript on UNIX (read: older Red Hat releases?), and there's
mod_mono yet that'll take care of running .NET CLR stuff under Apache
even though it's not really production ready.

The thing that Apache::ASP does is strive to maintain PerlScript
compatibility and to bring the ASP API to Apache through Perl.  That
is, you're supposed to be able to take a Web application written in
ASP/PerlScript and be able just to dump it somewhere on some machine,
set up Apache to use Apache::ASP as the PerlHandler for *.asp, and
have it Just Work(tm).  That's the idea.

Now, I would do something on mod_mono (Hi, Tom), but I can't get that
working well enough not to make a total fool of myself in front of
everyone, and like I've already mentioned, it isn't production ready.

--
Nathaniel Reindl

"`But,' says Man, `The Babel fish is a dead giveaway,  isn't  it?
It  could not have evolved by chance. It proves you exist, and so
therefore, by your own arguments, you don't. QED.'
-- Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy