Weird behavior with init scripts...

Hey, I've been using Fedora Core 4 Test 1 for a week or so now. :)
Its pretty nice once you get past the 900 package initial update.
But one thing is bugging me...
The apache server is acting odd.
I can start httpd with
# httpd
And it works perfectly ( well perfect enough )
But for some odd reason if I try to load it with /etc/init.d/httpd it
Case 1 ( during initial boot ) Gives error about DocumentRoot needing to
be a directory ( which it *IS* and I have double checked this ) and
doesn't load.
Case 2 ( trying to load it after I have booted ) gives
Starting httpd:     [FAILURE]
Hmm...
Any ideas?
	-- Kyle Pointer