Re: fedora update

On Wed, 2005-03-23 at 10:24 -0600, bentley rhodes wrote:
> using yum, how do i update fedora core to the 'test' instead of
> 'stable?'  do i comment out the 'stable' line, and uncomment out the
> 'testing' one?  this is my file, and i think that is all i have to do.
> my reasoning is i want to install gnome-desktop-2.10.0 but i don't know
> how to do it on my own and i don't want to download all the (*##@&*@
> files one by one.

Bentley,

That's one way to do it, but you'll probably want to "undo" your changes
as soon as it's finished.  The stuff in "test" isn't necessarily ready
for prime time. There's absolutely no guarantee that it'll work, and a
fair probability that it won't work at all. Worse, you might unwittingly
do harm to your system that, at this point in your Linux career, you're
not able fix by yourself. What is there about Gnome 2.10 that you
absolutely gotta have?

If you're just curious, I would strongly suggest that you invest in a
tape drive, a second hard drive, or whatever kind of no-nonsense system
backup capability meets your needs BEFORE you take the plunge into the
"test" end of the pool. Or don't bother. There's no surer way to learn a
bitter lesson than losing everything in one fateful mouse click. (That's
not a slam. Most of us have shot ourselves in the foot at one time or
another through impatience or bad judgement. In the Air Force there's a
saying: "There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are
no old bold pilots.")

--Doc