Re: DEBIAN

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 16:38:31 -0600
Kyle Pointer <kapointer@charter.net> wrote:

> [Debian is] pretty nice. But the package selection is kinda icky for
> multimedia and java. ( you can add your own sources ) The package
> manager is great.

No argument on that subject from me.  Debian programmers are fanatical
about free (as in RMS) software.  Open-source licensing doesn't cut
the mustard with them. The best site out there for finding unofficial
Debian packages (and backports for those people who refuse to let go
of Debian's stable branch) is www.apt-get.org. The most popular
repository for java is:

   deb http://www.tux.org/pub/java/debian/  testing  non-free

The most popular repository for multimedia is:

   deb ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/  testing  main

And there are other repositories for KDE 4.3, Openoffice.org-2.0 beta,
Xfce-4.2.1, etc.  Most of the Debian forums will push you in the right
direction.

Umm, let me warn you about the official Debian forums found at
http://lists.debian.org.  Very high traffic, moderate civility on a
good day.  Don't go there if being RTFM'ed bothers you.  Don't expect
a warm welcome for newbies.  There is a much nicer Debian forum at
http://forums.debian.net  I see quite a few of the people from the
Libranet forum also posting there.  It's probably your best resource
if you go with plain vanilla Debian.