dial-up problem with KPPP

Hello, All.

I'm a Linux newbie, and quite ignorant about the basics. My current internet machine is a 586/120MHz/Win95 and my word processing/Quickbooks machine has been my old faithful 486DX-33/Win3.1. So, you see I'm from the far-left end of the computer knowledge bell curve.

A blank slate (except for BIOS) 1GHz Athlon machine recently fell into my lap, and rather than defaulting to Micro$oft, I figured I'd try some sort of Linux first.

I've got PCLinuxOS .8 (Mandrake based with KDE) installed on it and I'm pretty happy with this OS, but I haven't been able to get online with it.

I pulled the Connexant winmodem (which wouldn't do anything beyond being detected) and hooked up a Diamond SupraExpress 56e Pro external serial modem instead. It will dial out and connect to my ISP, but then KPPP returns Error #15: timeout expired while waiting for ppp interface. I've gone over all the KPPP settings with the techs at my ISP, and one of the techs was able to connect from home via KPPP from within Mandrake so the problem shouldn't be with my ISP. I've also played around with the /etc/ppp/options file with no success.

Any ideas which don't require a Doctorate (or even Associates) degree in Linux Engineering to implement?

Thank You,
Larry Funk
Freeburg, IL