Re: usbdisks ID key

bntly_rhds wrote ..
> when the disk is put in the system checks it against fstab so it will
> confirm that the mount point is indeed supposed to be /media/tyblen
> and not /media/usbdisk?

Two things going on there.

1. You need to be able to implement partition labeling.
   This should be possible on recent mount implementations.

2. USB hotplugging system. How any USB device is mounted it dependent upon
   the scripts that fire when the device is plugged into the USB bus.

USB, as a protocol is more like a WinModem than a SCSI bus. The drivers are dumb
and the devices are *supposed* to be smart. However, sloppy consumer-grade
"engineering" often takes place on USB devices so that they don't play nice
with other USB devices, or require special "help" from their drivers to actually
work as promised. In the case of Windows-only marketed devices, almost none
of the special "help" required of the driver is disclosed to the OpenSource
folks.

Which explains why the universal support for an arbitrary USB device is so
spotty in Linux. And why we have devices that are USB "compliant", and appear
to be general block storage devices with a FAT32 filesystem on them, but
are unable to load into various distributions hotplug subsystems.

Your best bets would be to learn about hotplug and to tweak the
scripts there to do the special mounting you're talking about.

And udev is nothing like the devfs that went before it.

mike/