Re: problem ... experimenting

first make sure it is unmounted "umount /dev/sda1"

then "fdisk -l /dev/sda".  the "-l" means list partition information.
look at the partition type code for sda1 and look at the size to make
sure it is as full as you want it to be

if you are wanting it to be formatted fat32/vfat you need to make sure
the type code is "0c" or just "c".  you can do this by running "fdisk
/dev/sda" then hitting "t".  if it prompts you for what partition (it
shouldnt if you have only 1) then tell it "p" for primary and "1" for
first primary.  when it asks you for the partition type enter "c" (you
will know because it will say press L to list codes).  once that is
done hit "w" to write out changes and exit back to a command prompt.
do a "sync" to make sure all data is written out to the drive.

use "mkfs -t msdos -F 32 /dev/sda1" to format it.  after it gets done
formatting do another "sync"

once that returns then you can mount it or remove it or whatever you
want to do with it.

Casey