Sound problems...

So I think there is something wrong with gnome's sound server. If I use
System Setting -> Soundcard Detection, the little guitar riff plays
perfectly crystal clear. Also, all of my ogg files play with no
distortion. I have turned on gnome's sound server to play sounds at
various events like start up or shut down and the sound quality is
awful. It is very distorted. Also, I just happened to start Tux Racer to
test out my new video driver and it turns out that that game has a
soundtrack! Hmm, never heard that before. Well, the music in Tux Racer
is also really bad. So what is going on? This is probably some mixer
setting somewhere that is set to high, but I checked alsamixer and gnome
sound mixer (the one in the system tray) and I have set them both to
around 70%.

Also, does anyone have any suggestions for where I can find some sound
schemes to use with gnome?

Thanks,
Ken