Re: Win2003 server/SMB -- 2003 changed the handshake (in violation

On Friday, Dec 31, 2004, at 10:41 US/Central, Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> That's different.  There is a well documented change in how Windows
> Server 2003 handles the SMB handshake in violation of its own,
> published
> state diagram on the handshake.  In a nutshell, they now "skip a step."
> Windows clients silently error but continue.  Samba marks it as an
> improper negotiation and a possible protocol/security issue.
>
> I believe (?) Samba 2.2.8 or 2.2.9 fixed the problem.

Apparently so.  I tried connecting via smbclient on an FC1 machine
(samba-client-3.0.7-2.FC1) and it connects just fine.  Will working on
upgrading the other machines in a bit.

Thanks for the info Brian.  Owe you one next time you're in town.

Regards,
- Robert
http://www.cwelug.org/downloads
Help others get OpenSource.  Distribute FLOSS for
Windows, Linux, *BSD, and MacOS X with BitTorrent