using TAR

k.  just to keep up to par ...

i have linva working, and i even have it in my updater and yum files ...
i have gotten xmms and xmms-mp3 to work (i was only using [yum install
xmms])
i made shellscripts to reinstall some packages, and one to make soft
links to those files once i have installed them.
and i made a shell scipt to reinstall from rpm.linva.org.

NOW, i had a boo-boo and i formatted without backing up some stuff, thus
the reasoning that i could use some SH knowledge and i have been busy
attempting to understand my DUMMIES book.  however, all seems well now,
except for the billions of tiny files i don't understand and how i
cannot retrieve all my email and settings i lost from experimenting.

SO, how do i use TAR?  i have two questions ... i suppose ...

tar -c -fbackup-bntly_rhds -h -v -z /Portney/Phoenix/ /home/bntly_rhds/*

i understand, from the book, that tar will do the following:

-c                           create a new archive
-f                           specify file name of archive
-v                          verbosely tell me what is going on with
Linux's funky vernicalur
-z or -j                  compress the archive with either -z (gzip) or
-j (bzip2), i think i've heard bzip2 is better ... so i'm curious for
feedback on that if any.

so the above line should backup my entire directory under
/home/bntly_rhds/ right?
now i have a problem ... i have some softlinks in that folder (several)
that i want to archive without backing up the actual file they are
linked to.  i would like to simply have the link (1 byte or such)
instead of the entire file or files (25 gigs or so).  whats the tag for
that?