Re: Knoppix RAID?

On Wed, 2004-12-08 at 13:17, L. V. Lammert wrote:
> Is anyone using s/w RAID under 2.6 yet, or is 2.4 recommended?

LVM2 under Linux 2.6 seems to be well trusted for RAID-0 striping or
spanning.  For more on LVM2, see the LVM HOWTO w/LVM2 FAQ:
  http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/lvm2faq.html

Additional capability for snapshots, moving, etc... (RAID-1 mirroring
too?) seem to be in a set of unstable patches from Red Hat (fka
Sistina):
  http://sources.redhat.com/dm/

In a nutshell, with LVM2, I hear as long as you only do 1 operation at a
time, it seems to work well.  Where most people get into "race
conditions" is when 2 LVM2 operations are going on -- e.g., RAID-0 and
snapshot.

Hence why I tend to prefer intelligent hardware RAID.  I'd rather just
do a snapshots and let the card handle all other, lower-level
management.

--
Bryan J. Smith                                 b.j.smith@ieee.org