Re: Red Hat and LPI Exam

Okay, where can I start... hmm...

On Thu, 2 Dec 2004, Daniel S wrote:

> My question is: has anyone taken the RH exams or the
> LPI exams and could ethicly comment on them?  I don't
> want the awnsers just a quick overview of the testing
> procedure? what kind've enviroment was the test taken
> in?  Also are they really worth taking?

Procedures:

RHCE uses 3 part approach (though, I think they dropped the written...).
Two hands-on labs.  Must be completed on-site at RH facility.  One part
debugging hands-on lab, the other installation.  Expensive.  Last I
checked, $750 for the exam, plus training (if you wanted it).

LPI uses psychometrically developed paper exam.  Objectives are printed
on-line, so check out the lpi.org website.  Level 1 is for Jr Admins,
Level 2 for Sr Admins.  Two exams per level, $100ea.

Worth taking?  I think so.  Both have valid uses, both independently and
taken together.  LPI is distribution neutral, certifies you for the job of
a Linux administrator, whereas RHCE is product specific, certifying you on
the specifics of the product itself.

RHCE has a lower exam, RHCT too, and other higher programs.

> While on Vaction I came across a Red Hat Cert Eng.
> book for 3 bucks.  Being the thrifty person that I am,

Curious which one was $3 :)  Is it red by chance?

President, KS Computer Room Inc.	kara@kspei.com
Southern Illinois Linux Users Group	www.silug.org