Re: [ OT ] Anyone know what the deal is with worthless spam?

On Tue, 2004-11-30 at 19:11 -0600, Ken Keefe wrote:
> So, I understand why people spam with addresses to websites that sell
> you stuff. However, has anyone noticed a rise in spam that includes
> worthless or broken links? I have attached an example of what I am
> talking about... They seem to be trying to sell me inkjet cartridges,
> but when I go to their website, like someone interested in buying
> something would, the website is unavailable for one reason or another.
> Does anyone see the logic behind this?

Ken,

You must have hit that link at a bad time.

When I poked http://www.inkjets4less.biz into Mozilla I was promptly
redirected to http://www.preferredink.biz. There I found a long list of
name brands and cartridge listings for printers, fax machines, and
copiers.

This is definitely a no frills site. The fine print at the bottom of the
home page says it all:

"All brand names and trademarks are the property of their respective
holders and while we make reference to brand name merchandise we are in
no way endorsed by or associated with these companies. All HP, Compaq,
Lexmark and certain Canon cartridges are remanufactured. All other
products are new compatibles. We do not sell original name-brand
cartridges."

Sounds like any one of a bazillion little shops you'll find all up and
down the PCH in San Jose run by immigrant sole proprietors representing
every flag in the U.N.

--Doc