Re: dist-upgrade gone wrong -- Fedora.US is _broken_ right now

On Sat, 2004-11-20 at 19:44, Ray Holtz wrote:
> Well crisis is over.  I had the CDs the whole time, but I wanted to play
> with apt-get and see how it worked doing a dist-upgrade (it failed).

It didn't fail.  The Fedora.US repository is _broken_ right now.
The package meta-lists for APT are _totally_wacked_ right now.

BTW, I just saw this in the archives of the new Fedora-Extras-Announce
list:
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-extras-announce-list/2004-October/msg00001.html

Consider subscribing for Fedora.US (Fedora Extras) updates:

I've used "apt-get dist-upgrade" to not only move from CL3.1->3.2
(RHL9->FC1), but even a "major version" upgrade in CL3.2->CL4.0
(FC1->FC2).  The former was _flawless_.  The latter only required 2
manual changes:
http://lists.leap-cf.org/pipermail/leaplist/2004-August/039896.html

> anywho, I booted the computer with FC3 Disk1 and told it to upgrade.  it
> did seemlessly, and all is well with my home server now.

Again, APT works quite well _when_ the repository isn't _incomplete_.
;->

> In another note,  I have installed FC3 on my desktop at home (installed
> FC3 from scratch to dual boot with XP)

The only people with dual-booting issues are those with buggy BIOSes
that do not implement Extended Int13h Services that take issue with LBA
above 1,024 cylinders.  It is the combination of kernel 2.6 and GRUB.

Linux doesn't have an issue.  The issue is when NT4SP4+ (including 2000,
XP) apply a disk geometry that differs because of the buggy BIOS/LBA.
Linux has to "guess" and it's typically not correct.  It should be noted
that DOS7 (Win9x/ME) wouldn't even install on such a system.  ;->

> and it is working great,  it
> recognized my sound card (I forgot which it is, I think a soundblaster
> from a few years ago), my ATI Radion 9200 Video card, and everything
> else fine.  In fact I'm using it now instead of winxp.

Have you tried the Standardware ATI drivers?  I heard they are improving
significantly in recent releases.

ATI stopped releasing 3D specs as of the R300 series.  I also haven't
seen specs on the RV280 series either, only earlier R200 series.

--
Bryan J. Smith                                    b.j.smith@ieee.org
Subtotal Cost of Ownership (SCO) for Windows being less than Linux