FC3 upgrade report

I did an FC1->FC3 upgrade on my laptop tonight. Some notes:

(1) With about 50 minutes to go before completion, I decided to press
[Ctrl]-[Alt]-[F2] and check what was going on in the text consoles. The
screen "bloomed" and all disk activity stopped. Had to cycle power to
regain control, then rebooted the DVD to start over. Was apprehensive
because this was an upgrade rather than a from-scratch new install. I
was very relieved to see that it detected an existing RH3 system and
proceeded to upgrade (complete) that installation. BRAVO!!

(2) Not enough room in my / partition to bring up Evolution v2.0.2 (I
have a _lot_ of e-mail). Cleared Mozilla's cache, the module trees for
the old 2.4.x kernels, then moved some really large files out of my home
directory and onto the large drive array on my server. Once that was
done, Evolution promptly began converting to its new file structure
schema, essentially moving stuff from ~/evolution to ~/.evolution.
Before deleting the old tree it asked me more than once if I was "really
sure". I gave in and told it to delete that stuff later. After a
checking the contents of the converted system for a few minutes, I went
ahead and blew the old stuff away.

(3) The only thing I had a bit of trouble with is mounting NFS volumes
from my RHEL3 server. Shutting down both local firewalls fixed that, but
that's obviously not a good long term solution.

(4) I anticipated having trouble with SELinux, but so far it's just
clocking away in the background not bothering me at all.

(5) The volume control on my toolbar isn't behaving properly at all.
I've seen reports of FC3 sound problems on the fedora-list mail list.
I'll have to go back and read those.

(6) There are more than 600M of updates that have to be applied to FC3
following the initial installation. Most of these are bug fixes that got
caught up in the code freeze prior to general release.

(7) There were 19 .rpmnew files after the update. A bit tedious
reconciling those, but you have to expect such things when you're
upgrading. The only one that's a bother is merging /etc/bashrc.rpmnew
with my heavily customized original.

(8) With any luck, my USB2.0 Cardbus card will now work. It didn't with
FC1, but did with an FC2 I cobbed together for my last SANS course.

-- Doc