Re: Partition imaging mystery

On Thu, 2004-11-11 at 13:43, Daniel S wrote:
> http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0207.0/0388.html
>
> Here is a link to explain what the issue is basicly(I
> think).  It seems to be an issue with refilling rx
> ring buffers, there is also a kernel hack on how to
> fix it.  I think the awnser with the 9,883,033,600
> bytes is how much RAM and Virtual Memory you have on
> the Laptop.  There is propably some formula/algorithm
> you could come up with to see what your rate of loss
> is on the ring buffers;i.e. 1 to 2, 2 to 10.  There is
> some kind've ratio with the amount of RAM and VM you
> have, if you kill anyother memory eating process on
> your laptop like Sendmail/Apache whatever and free-up
> a little more RAM/VM you might come up with another
> number.  Just a thought.

Daniel,

I think you've got things turned around. The laptop is the _source_. The
3Com NIC with the rx ring buffer problem is on the _listener_.

The listener has two Athlon MP 2800+ processors, 3G of registered ECC
DDRAM, and 8G of swap. It more than meets the swap=2xRAM rule of thumb.
And it keeps The Back Room(TM) warm in the winter.

--Doc